It’s now mid-January.
Your tree is still up, drooping under the weight of ornaments, straggly tinsel and garlands.
You ate 10 plates of holiday cookies from neighbors and friends and gained as many pounds or more.
You made resolutions. 2015 was going to be your year! But you’ve already given up.
You are cold.
Here are some things you can do to grab this year by the horns and get over the post-holiday blues!
1. Service- the easiest way to forget about your own unhappiness to to serve. It feeds your spirit. When you serve someone who is less fortunate than yourself you will be better able to appreciate the things you have and the accomplishments you have made. They don’t have to be huge acts of service- give someone a dollar, hold open a door, pick up someone’s dropped item, smile, give a compliment. Get your kids involved with some service ideas here.
2. Try Something New – Is there a museum, restaurant, or class you’ve been meaning to try? Get out there and do it!
3. Exercise – It doesn’t have to be a new gym membership or something huge. Check out the Sworkit App– you get a free workout that’s customized to your skill level, how much time you have, etc. It is free and on your phone so you can do it any time, anywhere. I love it because I can get in a quick 5 min. mini workout here and there. I have 3 little kids and our budget is tight as we are saving for a home.
4. Homemade Hot Cocoa and Movie Night – Sometimes a cozy night in is all you need to recover from the parties and events that happen during the holiday season. Invite friends and family over or do it by yourself! Check out our Homemade Hot Cocoa recipe here.
5. Start a Gratitude Journal – Spend a minute before bed and write one thing you were thankful for that day. It’s quick, easy, and will help turn your mind toward positive things.
6. Aromatherapy – My friend, Pam, from Drops of Nourishment shares about using essential oils to boost your mood here! Scent is so interesting- I love how certain smells can take you back in time, trigger memories, and change your feelings!
How do you get yourself out of the rut of sadness?