Contains affiliate links.
photo by Brooke Dennis
Last week I attended my second Alt Summit in Salt Lake. It was really weird to be back. It felt like home but not. I had a lump in my throat a lot because our life was easier there. We had friends, family, doctors, and lots of shopping options across the street. It was tough to be in the middle of all that but not belong to it any more. Anyway, back to Alt.
Alt Summit Survival Guide
1. WATER. Utah is soooooo dry. You need to chug water like crazy to maintain any sort of hydration. Skip the soda and booze and grab the water pitcher, friends! The water will also help you get over any altitude sickness, should you start feeling symptoms.
2. LOTION. The Honest Company stocks the bathroom at Alt with great products and I make sure I use their lotion every time I’m in there! Utah air is so dry and you really start to notice on your hands after you’ve washed them a time or two. I make sure to keep my hands and face moisturized.
3. LANOLIN. This was my secret weapon at Alt! My lips are painfully dry all the time. I have been weaning myself off of lip balm over the last several months and the downside has been a chronic split and peeling lip. I wrote a post about lip balm addiction here. Anyway, I was cleaning out a drawer the other day and found an old tube of lanolin.
If you’re not familiar, lanolin is generally used by moms at the start of breastfeeding. Well, if it’s good for the nips, it’s good for the lips! People all around me were busting out the chapstick all day and I was good to go with my lanolin! I slathered on a thick layer after I brushed my teeth at night and a thin layer in the morning after brushing. It’s amazing. My friend, Jill, thought I was nuts until she tried it!
4. COMFY SHOES. My tip for any conference is to wear shoes that will be comfy all day. For me, that means flat shoes that are about a half size bigger than what I normally wear. When I fly and walk around a lot my feet swell just enough to make my shoes feel tight and totally uncomfortable. I find that a half size up is perfect.
5. DRY SHAMPOO. I washed my hair once at Alt. I don’t have time to be doing all kinds of hair shenanigans every day because I like sleeping and meeting with people before and after the conference each day. My secret time saver is dry shampoo!
6. VASELINE/AQUAPHOR. This is a little gross but I get bloody noses when I’m in a super dry location. My best trick for avoiding them is to apply vaseline or aquaphor to a cotton swap and swipe it around the inside of each nostril. It’s a strange sensation at first but getting a bloody nose in the middle of talking with someone is not my idea of leaving a great first impression!
I wrote a recap of my experience with lots of pictures here, check it out!
Check out OneDrive for more photos from Alt or search #AltSummit on Instagram!