**this post may contain affiliate links
So, let’s talk makeup. Did you guys know that the stuff you find in the cosmetics section of the grocery store is designed to make you go through it faster? It’s true. You might think you are saving money by using it instead of expensive stuff, but there is a good chance you are actually spending more just in smaller installments.
Here’s my first piece of advice. Take a look at how much you have spent on makeup in the past 6 months. Before I decided to invest in good makeup, I was buying foundation from Walmart every month or so. Guys, that gets expensive. I was paying $6 a month on something that wasn’t great for my face and that I didn’t love. Now, I spend around $24 for foundation that lasts me almost a year. Do the math. It’s worth it. The same went for mascara. I had to use twice as much to get my lashes to look like I wanted. Once I started paying a little bit more, I found myself using half the amount. My mascara lasts twice as long and I am much happier with the results. Good makeup doesn’t need to cost you a fortune and it should last you much longer than the cheap stuff.
Even though I have switched from Cover Girl to Bare Minerals and Urban Decay, I have made it a point to never pay full price for an expensive piece of makeup. I know that I am going to mention Ulta like a billion times in this post. It’s because they carry all my favorite brands, plus have a ton of coupons and perks floating around to get discounts. I’m sure there are plenty of other companies that have similar programs. Ulta is just my favorite. Anyways, here are my top 5 tips to help you get great make up at a price you can afford.
- Sign up to be a rewards member. This is should be a free program. If it’s not, don’t do it. Ulta’s members get a TON of awesome benefits. You will get a ton of free samples and even a free Calvin Klein mascara on your birthday (score!). Also, you will begin to accrue points based on your purchases. The more points you accrue, the better your discounts will be in the future. You can eventually use your points to take cash off of your purchases.
- Shop NYX. This has become one of my all-time favorite makeup brands. If there is a piece of makeup you have wanted to try, NYX has a knock off for it. And it’s a pretty darn good knock off at that. For example, Urban Decay makes a setting spray that will cost you about $25. NYX has a comparable one that runs about $8.
See those lips? What if I were to tell you that you could get that look for under $5? Check it out here. Awesome, huh. That’s less than what you would spend on a tube of Maybelline lipstick,ladies. Plus, the quality is 10x better. You can find it at a few different stores. However, I recommend buying it at Ulta. They frequently run 50% off sales on their NYX products. That means that a tube of lipstick could be as low as $2.50. Plus, you will accrue points! Free product, anyone?
- Stock up around the Holidays. This is my favorite thing to do for brands like Benefit, Bare Minerals and Urban Decay. Most companies start rolling out limited edition sizes of their products. This means you will get more product for the same price you would pay during the year. For example, check out this mascara that Bare Minerals is currently offering. It’s the same price that you would pay for one tube normally, except this one comes with a bonus.
- Shop the sales. Sign up for emails and mailers from your favorite beauty stores. Ulta sends out a mailer each month explaining their sales. If you are a fan of Bare Minerals, check out the ‘Last Chance’ section of their website. That is an AMAZING place to get bundles of your favorite makeup. Plus, many times there are free samples and gifts offered with the purchase of certain items.
- Stack the coupons. Ulta sends out emails weekly with a coupon attached to each one. Plus, if you get their monthly ads, you’ll have another one there. As a member, you will also get frequent 20% off your entire purchase coupons. Stack those babies. If you have points that have accrued, use those at the same time. Nothing is better than getting a huge makeup haul for half off. Most companies will offer discounts and coupons through their emails. Check out your favorite brands and see what they’ve got for ya.
Take the time to find makeup you love before investing. Go test stuff out and then figure out how to make it work in your budget. If you apply these 5 tips, I can promise you that you will be able to get what you want for good prices. Do you guys have any tricks to add?
Check out a few of my affordable make up favorites!